ABOUT CLELAND THOM
Cleland Thom is a consultant and trainer in media and internet law. Since 2003, he has:
- been the Press Gazette’s legal blogger
- trained more than 3,000 people in media law. They include directors, editors, heads of comms, producers, journalists and PR / comms teams
- delivered more than 450 law training sessions to public authorities, corporations, newspapers, magazines, websites, TV and radio stations
- worked with every UK regional newspaper publisher
- answered more than 7,500 pre-publication legal queries
- prepared more than 100 challenges to court reporting restrictions
His clients include:
- corporations including Waitrose, Smooth / Century FM and United Utilities
- all the UK’s top media groups
- more than 100 SMEs
- UK central government
- UK local government
- educational and non-profit organisations
- a member of the Society of Editors
- a Cert Ed graduate
- an NVQ assessor
Cleland was a journalist for 20 years and worked on local and national papers.
He edited a group of nine London local papers and was appraised as being the company’s best all-round editor for 50 years.
He ran the flagship NCTJ journalism course at Highbury College, Portsmouth for 10 years.
He is now principal of the College of Media and Publishing, the largest provider of online media courses.